Section 1: Washing InstructionsWhile the concept may seem simple - just throw it in the washing machine - it is essential to follow specific guidelines to ensure a successful and safe washing process:
- Place your rug in the washing machine alone. Do not mix with any garments or other washable items. We highly recommend the use of a front-loading washer machine to prevent any potential damage to your rug. Caution: Using a top loader may cause the fibres to get caught in the centrifuge and damage the rug.
- Set the machine to a gentle or delicate cycle with cold water. Do not use bleach or harsh detergents as they can weaken the fibres and cause fading.
- After washing, carefully squeeze out excess water from the rug without wringing or twisting it. Lay the rug flat on a clean, dry surface or hang it to air dry. Avoid direct sunlight or high heat sources, as they can cause shrinkage or colour fading. Flip the rug occasionally to ensure even drying.
To determine what washer machine capacity is required for the Size of rug you have, refer to The Complete Guide to Washer Machine Capacity for Washable Rugs: Choosing the Perfect Fit for Effective Cleaning
Section 2: Routine Maintenance
Regular upkeep is the key to preserving the appearance and lifespan of your washable cotton rug. Follow these simple steps to keep your rug looking fresh and clean:
- Vacuuming: Begin by vacuuming your cotton rug regularly to remove loose dirt, dust and debris. Use a vacuum that has a raisable brush attachment to avoid damaging the delicate fibres. Be sure to vacuum both sides of the rug for a thorough clean. We do not recommend the use of robot vacuum cleaners.
- Rotation: To prevent uneven wear, rotate your cotton rug every few months. This will distribute foot traffic and sun exposure evenly, ensuring that the rug maintains its original colour and texture.
- Padding: Consider using a rug pad underneath your washable cotton rug. A rug pad provides cushioning, prevents slipping, and adds an extra layer of protection to the rug's fibres. It also helps to extend the rug's life by reducing friction between the rug and the floor.
- Lint and loose ends: Do not worry if lint appears as this is residue fibres produced during trimming. If you find a long or loose thread, cut it with scissors. Never pull it.
- Keep away from fire
Section 3: Stain and Spill Removal
Accidents happen, and when spills or stains occur on your washable cotton rug, quick action is crucial. Follow these steps to effectively address common stains:
Blot, don't rub: For liquid spills, immediately blot the area with a white, clean, absorbent cloth or paper towel. Start from the outer edges and work your way inward to prevent the stain from spreading. Avoid rubbing, as it can push the stain deeper into the fibers.
Stain removal: For solid or stubborn stains, mix a solution of mild detergent and cold water. Apply the solution to a clean cloth and gently dab the stained area. Rinse with cold water and blot dry. If the stain persists, consult a professional rug cleaner.
Professional cleaning: It's recommended to have your washable cotton rug professionally cleaned every 1-2 years, depending on usage and foot traffic. Professional cleaners have the expertise and specialized equipment to deep clean and rejuvenate your rug without causing damage.